Monday, July 19, 2010

Hawaii Day 1: Honolulu, Oahu

Aloha!
I am going to share our Hawaii experiences one day at a time or one island at a time, I haven't decided yet. But that way it wont be a huge and overwhelming post about our vacation. Let me start out by saying, it was fantastic!

Our cruise started in Honolulu on the island of Oahu. From there we went to Maui (two days), Hilo on Hawaii, Kona on the other side of Hawaii, Kauai (two days) and back to Honolulu.

The first day wasn't too busy because there was a lot of travel. We woke up at 4:00am, and drove to the John Wayne airport, where we hopped onto a 5 hour flight, and arrived in beautiful Hawaii, ready to get on the boat.

Cruise boats never cease to amaze me. Think about how big you might think a cruise boat would be. Remember, it has multiple dining areas, thousands of guests, almost a 2:1 ratio with guest to crew, and lots of entertainment. Now take that image and times it by five. It was really impressive to walk onto this huge boat.



While we were waiting in the lines to check in and get our room keys, they had Hawaiian crew members passing out flowers and head wreaths. Jon was getting in the spirit of it all.



We were super tired and starving after traveling all day. We couldn't go into our room yet, not all the floors were ready. But we could eat! I had promised Jon there would be soft serve ice cream available on the boat, I am pretty sure he ate it every day. It was awesome.



A lot of people ask about how good the food was on the boat. I will attest that it was delicious. My favorite part? The fruit. They had the most delicious honeydew I have ever had, Jon had about 4 slices of pineapple each breakfast, and all other available fruit was seriously good. Jon and I also appreciated the desserts, they did not disappoint.

We were then able to put our bags in our room and after doing so we decided to go explore the boat.
I didn't really get a picture of our room, but it was small and nice. This is our elephant that our housekeeper made. And our bed was big and comfy.



This is the main deck of the boat. It was so great to be on the same floor as the pool and main eating area. Also, James and Jessica were our neighbors and Joe and Lisa were just down the hall!



After all of the exploring and settling in, we got to see James and Jessica. The boat sailed out around 7pm, and we all had dinner together that night.
You can't see me in this picture, but here is the entire group- all nine of us!



Being together as a family was the best part of the entire trip.

Tomorrow I will report on Maui!

2 comments:

T-Ray said...

How fun! Cruises are the best aren't they? I would LOVE to go on another one soon!

Melissa F said...

Shelly and I are both very, VERY jealous of you right now. How come you aren't bored in the basement of the library with us?!? :) haha Just kidding. Kind of. I'm glad you had fun!