Thursday, January 27, 2011

New Favorite Recipes

I think going to a Seventh-Day-Adventist school is having a good influence on me. I love all their healthy recipes and I really like eating vegetarian-friendly food. Jon and I have almost completely cut out red meat (except when we go out to eat or when we go home). We also are more open to eating more vegetarian meals throughout the week.

Here are two of my new favorite recipes...

1. Red Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Don't run away from the word salad! This is so delicious, Jon and I ate a whole batch in only 3-4 days. You will be impressed by that when you see how much food this makes... It is totally delicious and completely healthy. The cilantro-lime dressing adds a real kick which made it a favorite for Jon. It also is easy, since it really is just chopping and throwing everything together. And it keeps well in the fridge.
Just an FYI- the directions have you use a complicated method for cooking the quinoa. I just followed the box directions and let it cool, then mixed it all together. It turned out great.

Here are the links:
recipe
Step-by-step Pictures

PS I didn't use the jalepenos or the cumin. It seems like you can add or take out just about whatever you like.

2. Whole Wheat Sticks
So this recipe is a little bit more of a treat/snack. My friend from the program made these for a group of us and apparently they are a favorite at the Loma-Linda Market. They are a cookie/bread texture and are totally yummy. It doesn't hurt that there is tons of whole wheat flour and very little sugar. It also makes a large batch so we have lots left over to last us at least the week.

Here you go:

Whole Wheat Sticks

(Like the ones at the Loma Linda Market)

4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup White Flour
1 Cup Kamut Flour (optional; you can substitute 1 additional cup of WW flour)
1 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
1 Cup Coconut flakes
1 ½ teaspoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
¼ Cup White Sugar
¼ Cup Brown Sugar

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.

⅔ Cup Vegetable Oil
1 ½ Cups Water
2 Teaspoons Almond Extract

Mix wet ingredients into a temporary emulsion and pour onto the dry ingredients. Knead
for five minutes and roll out onto cookie sheets. Dough should be ¼ - ½ inch thick. Use
a pizza cutter to cut into 1 inch wide sticks.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until they golden-brown.

PS I couldn't find plain coconut flakes so I used sweetened (oops, a little more sugar) but they still turned out tasty. Also, the dough is a little hard to work with since it is not refined white flour, but just put some muscle into it and trust that it will taste super yummy.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

T-Ray said...

Those look so good!

juls4real said...

I love wheat sticks. I googled the recipe and yours came up. Even though I live in Redlands and can go to LL market, I couldn't get out today. So thanks a million for the recipe. Have a nice day. I like your blog..

Juls

RobAar said...

Hi Rachel!

I'm excited to try a new quinoa salad recipe! We had quinoa so much (around the time that we brought it to the bbq) that I got sick of it. Months have gone by since I've cooked it, that was, until last night! How funny, huh?

I was needing a starch for dinner last night so I cooked some up with just chicken broth & spices & could not get over how much I like the grain. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I'm glad to hear you guys are doing well! I'm glad you like school and are getting into the practical use of your degree.

I miss our conversations in the office! Love,

Aarika

Auntie Ruthie said...

I love Quinoa. I'm experimenting with a very small $10 Walmart crockpot to set it and forget it. It makes the world's best Trader Joes steel cut oatmeal...no stirring..just dump it and water in on high and 3 1/4 hours later...it's done! Yea!

Go veggie and vegan! Lose weight and inflammation, pain, increase energy! Sounds like wisdom to me. I love those Adventist cafeterias! No cooking.